Creating a modern home design is fun with loads of options that include textures, colors, finishes and accessories. Start with a goal for how you wish each room to look and begin shopping for those ideal finds.
Texture Is a Main Design Element
One of the best elements to include when creating a warm modern décor to use all kinds of textures. These include fabrics for upholstery, throws, pillows, and rugs as well as hard surface treatments.
Floors and Walls
Two of the most overlooked canvases are the largest hard surfaces in a room - the floor and walls.
The floor texture can be made up of more than one material. For example, the flooring could be vinyl, tile, wood or concrete. All of these can vary with the level of textures such as tile mosaics, floor medallions, concrete floors, and distressed or grain/knotty wood planks.
- Stone floor medallions are great for foyers and bathrooms.
- Inlay wooden medallions can set the design theme for the rest of your home.
- Laminate flooring with a distressed whitewash plank look is an option for rustic modern home designs.
- Cross-cut barnwood laminate flooring is a good choice for an urban loft designed in a modern industrial style.
- Area rugs in modern designs and unique materials can transform any room.
The walls for a modern home can be textured with horizontal rough-hewn planks, 3D wallpaper, a stucco, masonry, stone, ceramic and acoustical tiles.
- Reclaimed weathered boards sold as horizontal paneling often come in different finishes, such as natural weathered, whitewashed, oak or a gold stain.
- Paintable 3D wallpaper is a great textured treatment for an accent wall.
- 3D Wall Panels are embossed with over 20 pattern design choices. The panels are embossed with over 20 pattern design choices. They are white but paintable.
- Stone veneer wall panels are a great way to added texture to an accent wall.
Make Each Room Modern
Once the floors and walls are complete, you can focus on room-specific décor.
Modern Living Room
Using these texture ideas, you may choose to create two textured accent walls in your modern living room. One wall can feature horizontal rough-hewn plank paneling and the other a rough stucco effect. The next step is to layer in other design elements.
- The next layer of texture is luxurious draperies to soften the texture and provide another tactile element.
- Add a faux bear skin rug (in a rustic modern design) or a modern rug design.
- For a stunning look, select a white leather L-shaped sofa or a chrome metal frame and soft cream upholstered sofa and loveseat.
- Other design elements that heighten the texture elements include, a metal glass-top table and a stylized arc floor lamp.
- Table lamps emit style as well as light for end tables and sofa tables.
- Add various paintings, large wall art, faux orchid arrangements, wall sculptures, grouping of vases and art objects to bring your living room design together.
Dining Room Ideas
The art of dining can really shine with a stunning modern home decor. Once you have decided on the floor and wall treatments, it's time to focus on any window treatments, furniture and accessories.
- A few modern window treatments ideas include, geometric shade patterns, woven wood shades and modern patterned curtains.
- Select a modern style table made of wood, glass or metal. Some styles use a combination of two elements, such as metal and wood.
- Dining chairs in modern designs are made of upholstered, plastic, wood and leather like any other furniture style. The chair shapes are often molded with body formed curves for comfort.
- Choosing the right overhead light fixture is important. An elegant dining room deserves an equally elegant rectangle crystal light fixture. For a
minimalist design go with a walnut suspended light with three LED downlights and two uplights. An artistic light fixture design can add a rich dimension to your dining experience.
- Accessorize a dining room with antique mirror tiles, metal artwork, hand-blown glass, wood hand-carved bowls and free-style sculptures.
A modern bedroom design, like any other bedroom style, should be conducive to rest and relaxation. Using wall panels behind a bed is a great way to create an accent and focal wall.
- Select the style of bed you love. This could be a tufted upholstered, wood platform or white leather bed.
- A leather upholstered nightstand or wooden pair of nightstands are great additions for a modern bedroom.
- Hand-crafted blocked print quilts/comforters or geometric satin duverlet (duvet/coverlet) give a nice touch to any modern bedroom design.
- Benches, chairs and loveseats are all possible pieces of furniture to add if space allows.
- Overhead lighting can also include wall grazers, pendant lights over the nightstands in lieu of table lamps.
- Accessorize with a large floor vase, abstract paintings, candle holders or a grouping of vases .
- The industrial style, is a match for most modern kitchens. A chef's style kitchen with lots of stainless steel cabinetry and countertops works well.
- Use a combination of wood and stainless steel to create a striking modern kitchen design. Stainless steel range hoods make an excellent focal point for a modern kitchen.
- Opt for subway tile, glass tile or stainless steel mosaic tile which are all excellent modern kitchen choices.
- Kitchen carts can be used for an island or prep station.
- Modern bar stools are perfect for the breakfast bar with a glass countertop.
- Go with sconce lighting, spotlights, pendant, mini-pendant and suspended overhead lighting for a good coverage of lighting needs.
- There are many various posters and art reproductions and a unique tile mural that fit nicely in modern kitchen designs.
Designing a bathroom in a modern style can offer great opportunities to use cutting edge innovations.
- The soaking tub is a centerpiece for many modern bathrooms can be an oval, round, square or rectangle shape.
- Make a modern shower with a stainless steel square showerhead kit.
- Dual flush floor or wall mounted toilet models make a modern bathroom look cutting edge.
- Wall mounted vanities and floor vanities offer great options for a modern world.
- In addition to vanity and overhead lighting, opt for the subtlety of a wall sconce placed near the soaking tub.
Designing a Modern Home Décor
It's easy to decorate a modern home by using specifically modern designs that fit your personal taste and lifestyle. Use elements dictated by the architecture of your home for the best cohesive modern home design.