When you know how to make chalkboard paint, you can turn any wall in your home into a fun space to leave messages for family or let the kids actually draw on the walls and get away with it. Although you can buy pre-manufactured chalkboard paint, when you make chalkboard paint you can get just the right color for your room and décor.
How to Make Chalkboard Paint
Making chalkboard paint and turning a space in your home into a writable surface is easier than you may think. Here are the steps you need to follow to craft your very own chalkboard:
- Choose the paint color you want. You will need a paint with a flat latex finish. The amount of paint you need depends on the size of the space you want to turn into a chalkboard. If you are unsure, measure the space and ask for advice at the paint store.
- Add glazing medium and unsanded tile grout to your paint. The correct ratio to use is one part paint, ½ part glaze and 1/6 part tile grout. Using a paint stirrer, combine the ingredients until there are not any lumps left. This is very important - if you leave lumps, the final product will be bumpy on the wall.
- Prep the space you are going to paint. Fill in any holes and sand down any bumps. Remove any wallpaper. If you want your chalkboard to be magnetic, add a coat of magnetic primer at this point. Allow the primer to dry completely before moving on to the next step.
- Apply the paint. The size of the space you are painting will determine if you need to use a paint roller, brush or sponge to apply the paint. When the paint is dry, use 150 grit sandpaper to smooth out the paint. Apply a second coat, allow to dry and repeat the sanding process.
- Use a clean rag to completely wipe the dust from sanding off the wall.
- Now, you need to treat the surface of the chalkboard. Take a piece of chalk and use the long side of the chalk to completely color in the surface. Using a felt cloth, completely wipe the chalk from the board. Dampen another felt cloth and wipe the surface completely again. When the board dries, it is ready to use.
Ideas for Using Your Chalkboard
Once you know how to make chalkboard paint, there are many different ways you can incorporate it into your home décor. Consider the following ideas:
- Create a chalkboard in the kitchen to make a note of things you need and keep track of the family schedule.
- Paint a chalkboard in a child's room so they have a space where they can draw on their walls.
- Use a chalkboard in your bedroom to swap sweet notes with your partner.
- Paint a small chalkboard by the phone to jot down phone messages.
- Add a chalkboard to a playroom that can be used to play games like tic-tac-toe or win, lose or draw style games.