Highlight your love of dragonflies by using this motif in your home décor. Start with each room in your home, adding one or two items in each to carry the theme throughout or opt to include dragonfly designs in only a few rooms. It's entirely up to you.
Foyer or Entrance Area
The foyer or entranceway to your home sets the design and style for the rest of your décor. It's the preview that announces to visitors what's to follow. By paying attention to details in this often small space, you can give a hint of dragonflies, such as with a wall tapestry. Consider including these other decorative touches:
- Add a Tiffany-styled stained glass lamp for extra lighting placed on a console table in the foyer.
- If the entranceway is too confining for furniture, then choose a pair of framed dragonfly prints for a great reception wall.
- Set a stylish umbrella stand in the corner by the door for those rainy day catches.
- An indoor/outdoor rug can be used outside your front door or select one for inside of the foyer or entrance area.
Hallways are often neglected spaces since they are used so frequently and considered not a room but a connector to rooms. However, you can still take advantage of wall and floor space to carry your dragonfly motif deeper into your home décor.
- Use rug runners to match the colors of your dragonfly wallpaper design, or hang photos/prints or decals to add color and design to this space.
- If you don't like the look of wallpaper, cut several sizes of dragonfly shapes out of interesting patterned papers that can be framed for unique wall groupings.
- You might want to change out electric wall sconces, add metal wall candle sconces, or opt for overhead light fixtures to reflect this theme.
The living room is a great choice for featuring your dragonfly motif.
Accessories and Accents
- A ceramic water fountain is an ideal sound and provides a calming ambiance to a living room. Use this for a tabletop feature.
- Add a tabletop stained glass window that's suspended from its own frame. Set this masterpiece on a side table.
- A folding fire screen can add color and form to a living room fireplace.
Furniture and Fabrics
Shop for the upholstery fabrics to cover existing furniture pieces, but you don't have to reupholster anything to get a new look. Instead, just use a furniture throw to create a dragonfly-themed décor. You can opt for upholstery fabrics or simply add a few throw pillows to accent with dragonflies.
Walls and Windows
Every home office needs a stunning stained glass torchiere lamp to uplight a dark corner.
Dragonfly pillows can be added to a chair or couch and even custom-made from purchased fabrics. If you are a seamstress, then sew a pair of new draperies to complete the fabric look.
Desk lighting can be fun, too, with a Tiffany bronze table lamp to provide decorative task lighting. A bookshelf or bookcase can be highlighted with a few pieces of art, such as dragonfly pottery pieces.
The bedroom is a great place to personalize with dragonfly décor.
- Go green with a four-piece quilt ensemble that features dragonflies, butterflies, and ferns.
- A pair of Tiffany bronze swingarm wall sconces can be placed over the night stands to provide decorative lighting.
- A dramatic accent wall can be created with unique wallpaper or a wall panel.
- Add a few pieces of pottery as art objects on a dresser or nightstand.
Designing a dragonfly motif bathroom can start with something as simple.
- Look for bathroom accessories with a dragonfly theme, such as a soap dispenser, toothbrush holder, soap dish, and other key accessories.
- Next, add a few decorative dragonfly bath towels and a matching rug.
- Add a shower curtain and dragonfly curtain hooks.
- Complete the room with a wooden spa-style dragonfly plaque and a three-light Tiffany stained glass vanity light fixture.
If you're "less is more" kind of decorator, opt for a simplistic word art decal instead of the plaque and stained glass fixture. If your budget allows, you may want to invest in a dragonfly vessel sink to give your bathroom a stunning unique look.
Kitchen and Breakfast Area
The kitchen is a great place for keeping up with sets of keys. Try a keyhook rack made from wood with metal dragonflies for a great look. Other decorations might include the following:
- Go for a whimsical look with dragonfly fridge stickers.
- A pair of cafe style curtains or a set of colorful window valances are ideal for these two rooms.
Add a border wallpaper to the kitchen and breakfast room to give your room design greater depth. Decorate the walls further with a metal wall art dragonfly.
One of the most elegant ways to introduce a dragonfly motif with table linens and set of dinnerware. Include additional pieces to round out the theme in the dining room.
- A dragonfly upholstered side chair creates the ambiance you want in your dining room design.
- On the buffet or sideboard set a silver beaded napkin box with a heavy silver dragonfly weight.
Decide Where to Use Dragonfly Motifs
The ideal way to use any motif in a home interior is to make sure each addition fits into your overall décor. Match each item in color and style. Be sure to layer for texturing and you'll end up with a design you can enjoy for a long time.