Barn style interiors are fun to create with many great ideas for décor choices to guide you. Choose your theme and style, and add a touch to every major room in your home.
White Barn Interiors
Transform a rustic, dark barn interior into a light and airy one with a little white paint, whether you use cool white or warm white values. The white barn interior doesn't need to stop with the walls and ceiling.
- Layer different whites into your room décor for a monochromatic appeal or introduce an accent color.
- Carry the white-washed barn theme by adding a pair of white gooseneck wall sconce.
- Transform an existing sofa or chair with a white bleached cotton slipcover.
- Choose from a variety of white accessories, such as a distressed metal milk can vase.
- Select a white farm table and antique X back chairs or benches for a great statement.
- Use a paint style for authenticity such as Chalk Paint, white distressed furniture paint styles and chalkboard paint.
This modern spin creates a nice contrast between barn style and modern with the kitchen cabinet choice. A farmhouse styled island in white transforms this kitchen and provides counter space to prepare homegrown vegetables.
Antiqued Farm Flair
Add the charm that only an antiqued wood wall with a rustic finish can achieve to your barn style home. This interior style gives you many design options for layering textures into your room designs.
- You can contrast soft warm textures with harsh wood finishes.
- Combine white upholstered furniture and rough wooden furniture for texturing contrasts.
- Bring in a few wicker pieces, such as a wicker chest, and use a lamb's wool throw for a seat cover.
Luxe Horse Barn Style
Transform a horse barn style with an elegant mix of rustic charm and luxury furnishings. Paint the walls a soft white, allowing the rough-hewed framework and trusses to stand out in their natural finish. Add a wainscoting of brick for a more rustic look.
- Continue the theme with iron wall art depicting horse barn icons such as tack room inspired saddle-styled bar stools or a "Welcome" message art sign created by using horseshoes.
- Toss a pair of leather pillows on the sofa for a quick fix. If your budget allows, splurge on leather furniture in a saddle finish to repeat the barn style theme.
- Choose leather upholstery for the dining chairs, reminiscent of saddle leather, that pair with a rustic wooden table.
- Horse collars are very popular for horse barn décors, so add an antique horse collar on one of the walls.
Country Barn Chic
Go with a truly shabby country barn chic look. Select antique white hand-painted furniture that features rough-saw marks. Choose the iconic barn door X brace design for headboards in a bedroom and furniture, like armoires, that have barn door slides.
- Accent with black iron wall art and various barn themed accessories.
- Toss in a few very elegant textures to contrast with the barn theme, such as lightweight curtains.
- Look for furniture that has wrought iron handles or swap out your furniture handles.
Super Elegant Barn Style
The rough-hewed naturally aged barn trusses dominant this design style. Other textures offset the rustic elements transforming this room design into an elegant barn statement.
- The gray rock fireplace adds interest and a different type of texture to the decor.
- Thick heavy window framing is painted beige and trimmed in white.
- The plush velvet furniture is another layer of texture along with accent pillows.
- Just add your favorite are rug and you have an elegant barn style room.
Old Barn Interior Looks
The look of an old barn brought inside means weathered looking wood and rustic touches. Even if your home doesn't boast a high-pitched, exposed rafters ceiling, you can still create this theme in your home.
- Replace or refinish your existing kitchen cabinets to have that old barn look. Replace modern hinges for metal strap ones or copper patina handles.
- Include the kitchen sink with a bucket style or an apron farmhouse design.
- Add high-back chairs that were made from reclaimed barn wood around a tall island featuring old barrels.
- Chair rail around the room ties the furniture and cabinetry together.
Rustic Romantic Barnhouse
The art of decorating rustic is to allow the rough framework of the room to be exposed while designing a room with ambience. That means you can play up the rustic plank armoire in an antique distressed finish.
- Pleated draperies made from domestic bleached cotton add to that rustic charm.
- An old hope chest is painted and stenciled to give it a second life and soften the rough look.
- Use a modern bedding ensemble complete with a hanging mosquito netting to complete that romantic ambience.
Combining Different Design Elements
You aren't limited to sticking with jus one barn style in your home makeover. You can mix old barn elements with white barn interiors. Be sure to add one or two items of the horse barn décor to create a balanced look.